Jeff Staino is the executive chef at Spiaggia in Stone Harbor. Spiaggia is a family-owned seafood trattoria with a genuinely Italian atmosphere. Staino was born and raised in New Jersey and has been in the area for more than 12 years. He studied at the Academy of Culinary Arts at Atlantic Cape Community College, and has been working at Spiaggia since the day it was opened by owner Marco Tarantino. Below find Q & A with Jeff, and a Recipe for Tomato Fettuccine!
Spiaggia is located at 9800 3rd Avenue, Stone Harbor, and is open seven days a week for dinner at 5:30 pm. Call 609-368-9400 for reservations.
1. What are three ingredients that are must-haves in your kitchen?
Garlic, fresh herbs and my iPod
2. When you cook at home, what’s your specialty?
3. What’s the inspiration behind your signature dish?
My signature dish, I guess, would be the Tomato Fettuccine. My inspiration is the Mediterranean ingredients (tomatoes, olive oil) combined with New Jersey’s finest fresh tomatoes and produce.
4. When you go out to dinner, what kind of cuisine do you enjoy most?
Italian and Mexican
5. Your favorite comfort food is?
Mac & cheese . . . it’s just too good!
6. Do you prefer white wine or red?
Green . . . bottles (beer)
* Jeff didn't mention it, but we have to give credit to his chowder, that has won awards at chowder challenges!
1. Sautee shrimp and mushrooms in olive oil.
2. Add garlic and shallots until golden brown.
3. Add white wine and fish stock.
4. Reduce by half.
5. Add marinara sauce and lobster meat.
6. Add and toss tomato fettuccine or pasta of your choice.